The following guidelines have been issued pursuant to the Health Protection Agency (HPA)’s Circular (No.: 64/2021) dated June 29, 2021, allowing entry for inbound work permit holders travelling from South Asian countries from July 7, 2021. All travelers and their accompanying dependents are required to strictly adhere to these guidelines.
Prerequisites for Entry into the Maldives
- Present a valid negative PCR result with a sample taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation at first port enroute to Maldives.
- Arriving passengers must complete and update the Traveller Health Declaration on the Maldives Immigration Imuga website portal 24 hours prior to their departure to Maldives. Passengers are required to present PCR Test results, Vaccination proof on arrival and should attach the applicable documents, when completing the online Traveller Health Declaration form.
- Register for quarantine 24-hours before travelling at [email protected]. Registration should be done either by the passenger or their employer/agent) along with reservation confirmation/ proof of approved quarantine location if the person(s) do not meet the criteria mentioned under the quarantine exemption.
- Individual(s) who have received all the prescribed doses of a Covid-19 vaccine that has been approved by WHO for emergency use, and in Emergency Use Listing (EUL) and completed 14 (fourteen) days (prior to date of arrival) after the prescribed dose(s) of a vaccine, will not have to quarantine. Children who are not eligible for vaccination, accommodating the aforementioned individual(s) can also travel without having to quarantine. Individual(s) (including children) traveling with this exemption, should do a PCR test between 5-7 days from arrival in Maldives
- The individual(s) who have tested positive for Covid-19 in the Maldives and recovered; if not exceeded 60 (Sixty) days from the date of positive sample collection, will not have to quarantine. Children who are not eligible for vaccination, accompanying the aforementioned individual(s) can also travel without having to quarantine). Children traveling with this exemption should undertake PCR testing between 5-7 days from arrival. .
Place of Quarantine
- Work permit holders should complete quarantine at a designated facility or a place approved for this purpose by HPA. The up-to-date list of designated facilities for quarantine will be accessible at Designated quarantine facilities for work permit holders travelling from South Asian countries (21.7.2021)
- Government Institutions, Tourist Resorts, State-Owned and private enterprises intending to designate their own places to quarantine their staff may submit a request to [email protected] 48 hours prior to arrival. Once, the suitability of the proposed locations for quarantine, is ascertained by HPA, they would be approved and informed to the requested parties. The list of parties who have been given approval to quarantine their own staff at their own facilities/places, will be informed to airlines and all relevant organizations.
- All measures and arrangements at quarantine facilities must be as per HPA guidelines.
Duration of Quarantine
- The individual quarantine duration is 14 days from date of arrival if the person(s) do not meet the criteria mentioned under the Quarantine Exemption.
- Those who are quarantined as above, will be released from quarantine after receiving a negative result for the PCR test done when quarantine duration has been completed.
- If the person(s) is tested positive during or at the end of quarantine period to follow as below:
- Positive person(s) will be isolated for 14 (fourteen) days from the date of obtaining the sample of the positive test and released based on health condition of the person.
- Direct contact(s) will be subject to 14 (fourteen) days quarantine period. (These 14 days quarantine period of contact(s) will be counted from the date of isolation of positive person. If direct contact(s) and positive person(s) are quarantined/isolated together, the quarantine 14 (fourteen) days will be counted from the recovered date of positive person.
Guidelines to Follow when Quarantined
- All expenses for and during quarantine (including transportation, testing and medical treatments when required) are to be borne by the work permit holder or their employer.
- Register on the “Haalubelun” portal on www.haalubelun.gov.mv within 24 hours after arrival. Quarantine and isolation related documents will be uploaded and accessible over this portal. Initial notice of quarantine will be processed after the work permit holder has checked into the facility and when exact location/ room number has been verified.
- All quarantined work permit holders are required to stay only at the pre-designated facility for which they hold a “reservation confirmation” as communicated to HPA.
- Provide a sample for, and undertake PCR testing between 48-72 hours from arrival, and subsequently after completion of quarantine. The sampling, sample transportation and testing are to be organized by the facility operator or employer.
- Call and inform HPA at 1676 at the onset of any Covid-19 symptoms or any health-related complaint by the client.HPA would arrange to do a PCR test if required in such circumstances at no cost to the quarantined work permit holders or the employer. A PCR test done in these cases would have no effect on the mandatory PCR tests done at 48-72 hour and end of quarantine timelines.
- Dependents travelling with work permit holders should also quarantine according to these guidelines.
- At all times during quarantine, those in quarantine must adhere to and the facility operator/ employer must ensure compliance to the quarantine measures, including regular monitoring and communication between quarantined work permit holder (and dependents) and employers/ facility operator focal points to report and attend to any medical emergencies.
- Clients at quarantine facilities should not be subjected to unnecessary tests or tests that have not been authorized by HPA.
- Charges at testing laboratories or health facilities are determined by those facilities. However, when providing or facilitating such services to work permit holder (and dependents), facility operators may not add surcharges in excess of the actual charges levied by the specific service provider.
Requirements for the Quarantine Facility/ Place
Facility operator or employer must ensure that the places of quarantine are in full compliance to HPA guidelines or requirements pertaining to quarantine and quarantine facilities, including:
- There should be a separate room in the premises for the person to stay in quarantine. If more than one person is being quarantined in the room, there should be minimum 3 feet distance between beds
- It is advisable that the room be adequately ventilated with a window or exhaust for air circulation. Even if the room has air conditioning it is advisable to open windows for few minutes each day for air circulation.
- It is recommended to have a separate toilet for quarantine person.
- Clean water and hand washing facilities should be available.
- High-touch surfaces in the toilet if shared should be cleaned and disinfected more often and when visibly dirty
- Items used by quarantined person such as plates, spoons, towel, bed sheets, pillow, etc., that is being used by the quarantined person should be kept separately.
- Garbage/waste collection and disposal must be as per infection prevention and control practices
- Facility operator or employer must ensure, arrangements are in place for occupants or authorities to call or contact when required, including the identification and informing all relevant parties, of a designated focal person’s name and contact.
Requirements when Releasing from Quarantine
Except in cases where, a person in quarantine becomes positive for COVID-19, (in which case a separate protocol is to be followed), the following must be ensured at the time of release.
- The quarantined person has completed the mandatory period of quarantine
- A PCR test has been done after completion of quarantine and a negative result is obtained
- The quarantined person does not have or complain of any symptoms at the time of release
- A” Release from Quarantine Notice ” or release notice has been issued by HPA and received.
- Except for persons whom 14 days have passed after completion of vaccination, all others must have direct and immediate transfers arranged, if travelling to place of work located outside Greater Male’ Area.
For any issues that the facility operator or employer are unsure about in relation to the above, HPA must be contacted, seek and follow advice accordingly.